Tuesday, October 7, 2014

week five learning domains and levels of outcomes / critique of learning outcomes


Journal Activity
Although Cranton (2012) and Morrison et al. (2013) use the term "learning objectives," their concept is very similar to that of the community colleges' concept of "learning outcomes." They describe three domains of learning: Cognitive, Psychomotor, and Affective. Each domain has several levels. Learning outcomes are written based on these domains and levels.
  • Which domains and levels of learning outcomes would be appropriate for your curriculum? Make a note in your learning journal.



Discussion
You were asked to find and read an article on the pros and cons of learning outcomes. Based on your readings, discuss your opinions on learning outcomes in the discussion folder titled Session 5: Critique of Learning Outcomes.

Individually, make a note in your learning journal as to the relevance of this critique in designing your curriculum.


I have not always understood the value of the course outline and its learning outcomes and objectives. When I started teaching, I was given the outline and knew that it was an important document. I scanned thorugh it and relied on my experience as an esthetician to guide me through developing what I thought the students would benefit from. Through attending workshops and taking courses in adult education I came to understand how important the outcomes are for everyone who is associated with the course. I now personally regard learning outcomes as a key to good planing and ultimately in effective instruction.
In environments where reaching or instruction are occuring (whether through workplace training or formalized academic instruction), learning outcomes are now a standard way of identifying and measuring the results (Schacter, 2014|).  This is an important statement. It truly boils down the essence of what good outcomes can achieve.

I had an experience a few years ago where a student complained to the dean that I was not delivering a good education. She did not feel that I was qualified and was not happy being in my courses. I was able to show the dean my work, how it related to the course outcomes and how all the course objectives were being met. The experience I have in my field speaks for itself, but it was because of good planning using the course outcomes and objectives as my guide that I was able to justify myself and show that the students concerns were a matter of perception. It was a crushing experience that ended well for me. It could easily have ended poorly if the dean had seen that I was winging it.

Outcomes can aid in collaboration between instructors who teach the same students or between faculty and librarians. In fact, collaborating with other stakeholders in the learning environment is a valuable way to produce more effective relationships for the learners experience and in the instructional environment as a collective. (Lundstrom, Fagerheim and Benson, 2014). I see a great need for more collaboration in my academic setting. Many instructors keep their curriculum to themselves and do not want to share. This has detrimental effects. Instructors within programs should be a united front, a seamless program that makes sense to students and is well understood by all who are involved.

I have heard that having to follow outcomes and objectives leaves no room for creativity or for unexpected learning opportunities. I mostly object to that. Especially in an academic institution. There should be expectations and they should be met using a variety of pedagogical appraoches.
When developing your curriculum, it is critical that you identify the expected outcomes and make them clear to your students. Examining what you hope to achieve will often raise questions about whether you are teaching the students what they want to learn versus what you think yoneed to teach them. (Schacter, 2014)

Even as expectations of developing and implementing quantifiable meaures have increased, the goal of measuring learning impact has long posed problems. (Schacter, 2014) I think that having well planned objectives facilitates the task of assessment. Knowing what needs to be measured and at what level the measurement should be helps the designer to choose relevant assessment tools and content.

I believe that the pros outweigh the cons in regards to learning outcomes.
C

Lundstrom, K.; Fagerheim, B.A.; Benson, E.; (2014), Librarians and Instructors Developing Student   Learning outcomes, Using Frameworks to Lead the Process,  Emerald Group Publishing Limited DOI 10.1108/RSR-04-2014-0007

Schacter, D.; (2014), Measuring Value Using Research Results and Learning Outcomes; Information Outlook, Vol. 18; No.2
retrieved from Brock University library


This critique has relevance in my curriculum design. Creating meaningful outcomes and the related objectives will serve to enhance my design and facilitate my strategies. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment