Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Week four learning styles inventory check in and anticipating the learners

Letter to Erin:
hey there! Just checking in to see how you are doing. I have been busy the last couple of days and just getting back at it. We are in the middle of session four now and I have noticed that you have not been in the forums. As your learning partner I am checking in :)
Hope everything is okay.
The first thing for this session is to discuss the learning inventory we were to find and do last week. My home computer is crashing...so I am working from my iPad for a few days until I can get a replacement. Bear with me :)
I did two inventories and had some differences in results. The Vark questionnaire scored me highest in kinesthetic learning with visual just behind it. The questionnaire from University of NC scored me highest in visual. So overall, I was placed as a visual learner. I would say that I learn best with multiple methods of instruction and study.
As far as how this will affect my curriculum design...I would say that I would make sure that there are a variety of pedagogical approaches within the design and that I, as a visual learner, do not get caught up in creating a lot  of visual aids and forget about the learners with other learner characteristics. 
Of course, knowing our learners is a key but while designing we can only presume and develop for the material more than the individuals who will actually be in the course. My feeling is that it is important to always leave room for tweaking to the individuals after designing. It. Is crucial to understand our learners. I do my best to achieve this by taking inventory and completing critical incident questionnaires in the early weeks of a course to help me to know if I am on track. (See Stephen Brookfield CIQ http://www.stephenbrookfield.com/Dr._Stephen_D._Brookfield/Critical_Incident_Questionnaire.html
So, I hope all is well and you are enjoying your evening. Keep in touch!
C.

Anticipating the learners

I figure that because my course is Technology for the Educator, my classroom will be filled with other educators from different areas of expertise and context of setting. In other classes I have taken I have educators from many areas including paramedics, banking, the OPP, different levels of academia etc...
Of course, educators have their own styles of learning and teaching. However, I think that educating educators would have it's own challenges. I believe that the level of critical thinking would be high and the willingness to learn as they explore new perspectives would be high as well. Using a tool such as the Critical Incident Questionnaire would be helpful. Asking the learners to weigh in on what they hope to achieve and how you are doing so far would facilitate knowing them and knowing if I am on track. Having the learners complete a learning styles inventory would also be helpful. Reflecting upon their styles will help them to identify what they need or how they will best learn. Potentially this will be a tool that they can use as they move forward with their own learners in their individual environments using their new online tools.
C. 

No comments:

Post a Comment